Monday, May 13, 2013
Southbound lanes were closed temporarily after a car crashed into a tractor trailer near Governor's Bridge Road.
Update 2:45 p.m.: Southbound lanes on Route 301 have reopened to traffic, according to a spokesperson from Maryland State Police. Original Post: A car on Route 301 south in Bowie crashed into the back of a tractor trailer Monday afternoon, temporarily closing down all southbound lanes of the road, according to Prince George's County Fire Department spokesman Mark Brady. The accident occurred shortly after noon near the intersection of Route 301 and Governor's Bridge Road. The man driving the car was briefly entrapped and sustained minor injuries. "He was trapped in his car for a brief period of time and then transferred to an area hospital to be treated for injuries that were not life threatening," Brady said. There were no passengers in …
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
An initial report of child trapped in the burning home proved false, according to officials.
A child who was initially reported trapped in a South Bowie house fire Tuesday afternoon was located "safe and sound" in the neighborhood a short time later, according to Prince George's County Fire Department spokesperson Mark Brady. Initial reports were of a 9-year-old boy trapped in a burning one-story home at the 15600 block of Porsche Court. Several family members had reported seeing the boy in the home just before the fire started. Firefighters quickly knocked down the flames and searched the home, but were unable to locate the child, Brady said. According to a Tweet from Brady, the search was widened to the community and the boy was located in the neighborhood a few moments later, uninjured. "[The boy] was in the home when the fire …
It took firefighters about 30 minutes to extinguish the blaze, according to officials.
Fire ripped through a Glenn Dale home Sunday afternoon, displacing the occupants and causing significant damage, according to Prince George’s County Fire Department (PGFD) spokesman Mark Brady. Firefighters arrived on the scene of the blaze in the 6900 block of Greenwood Drive at around 2 p.m. to find the first floor showing “heavy fire.” It took 40 firefighters/medics about 30 minutes to extinguish the flames, which extended through the attic before the fire was knocked down, Brady said. No injuries were reported and PGFD estimates damages at $150,000.
Monday, April 15, 2013
Fire damages are estimated at $90,000.
A fire that destroyed an attached carport and several vehicles at the Meridian at Bowie apartment complex early Sunday morning has been declared suspicious, according to Prince George’s County Fire Department (PGFD) spokesman Mark Brady. PGFD were alerted to the fire at the 3600 block of Elder Oaks Boulevard at around 5 a.m. Sunday morning. Upon arrival, they found a carport and several vehicles “well involved with fire,” Brady said. Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze quickly with no injuries, Brady said. Prince George’s County Fire Investigators determined that a vehicle parked beside the carport was the point of origin. The fire then spread to the carport and damaged eight vehicles that were park outside of and underneath …
Friday, April 12, 2013
Rescuers hoist man, who injured his back after a slip, from subterranean vault.
UPDATE - 4:20 p.m. - Prince George's County Fire Department personnel have freed a man who was unable to get out of a subterranean vault at the WSSC treatment plant in Upper Marlboro after he injured his back. The victim has been transported to the hospital where he is being treated for non-life threatening injuries. According to Mark Brady, public information officer for the Prince George's County Fire Department, the victim was removed from the vault at around 4 p.m. Brady said the man fell a small distance while in the vault, which is located 30 feet underground. Original Story - Rescue crews from the Prince George's County Fire Department are currently trying to rescue a man trapped 30 feet underground at the WSSC treatment plant at…
Monday, March 4, 2013
The new and expanded programs are designed to increase fire safety awareness and working smoke detectors in homes.
Following a recent spate of fires and fire related fatalities in Prince George’s County, the fire department is launching and improving upon several programs designed to increase fire safety awareness. “We are here to talk about community resilience,” said Prince George’s County Fire Chief Marc Bashoor in a press conference Friday. The press conference was held at the Northview Fire Station in Bowie. The city has seen an unusual spike in house fires in the past several months, with 16 reported since May 2012, the majority of which have been accidental. Another recent accidental fire on Leslie Avenue in Glenarden claimed the lives of three children and their father. The fire was determined to be accidental and fire investigators discovered …
Friday, February 22, 2013
Prince George's fire chief to send out a message to residents about smoke alarms.
A deadly fire in Glenarden, MD just less than nine miles outside of Bowie's city limits claimed the life of one man and two children Thursday morning and injured three others, according to Prince George's County's fire department. Now, county Fire Chief Marc Bashoor wants to remind residents about the need of smoke alarms after fire investigators discovered no smoke alarms were present in the home on Leslie Avenue. "I could not be prouder of our men and women, volunteer and career, who work hard every day and who, once again, this morning showed that valiant courage that lies within us all," Bashoor said in a note, which was forwarded to Patch by the county's branch of the NAACP. "It is tragic to report that no smoke alarms have been …
Thursday, February 21, 2013
One man and two children were killed in the deadly blaze.
The lives three people, including two children, were claimed Thursday morning when a fire ripped through a Glenarden home, according to Prince George’s County Fire Department Spokesman Mark Brady. PGFD were alerted to the house fire with trapped occupants at around 4 a.m. Thursday. Once on the scene, firefighters found a house in the 8600 block of Leslie Avenue showing fire and heavy smoke, Brady said. A search of the burning home revealed one man and three female children, ages 5, 8 and 10. They were removed from the house and all four were not breathing and had no pulse Brady said. Firefighters conducted CPR on the scene the victims were transported to the hospital. The man and two of the children were pronounced dead upon arrival at …
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
The driver of the vehicle was transported to the hospital with unknown injuries.
A woman drove her car through at home a the 10800 block of Maiden Drive in Glenn Dale Tuesday afternoon, according to Prince George’s County Fire Department (PGFD) Spokesperson Mark Brady. The car went completely into the brick exterior wall of the home. The driver was removed from the vehicle and transported to a nearby hospital, said Brady. Brady said PGPD cleared the scene and the car will remain in the home, to be safely removed by the insurance company. The cause of the accident is unknown at this time. No other injuries were reported. No one was inside the home at the time of the crash. Patch will have more information on this story as it becomes available.
No injuries were reported as a result of Tuesday's fire on Peachtree Lane.
A 3,100 square foot home on Peachtree Lane in Bowie was destroyed by fire early Tuesday morning, in a blaze that took firefighters nearly two hours to extinguish, according to Prince George’s County Fire Department (PGFD) Spokesperson Mark Brady. Firefighters responded to a call for a house fire in the 1800 block of Peachtree Lane just after 5 a.m. Tuesday to find a two-story home being overtaken by flames. It took 45 firefighters about an hour to get the bulk of the flames down and an additional 30 to 45 minutes to completely extinguish hot spots, said Brady. Though damages are still being assessed, Brady said at least $400,000 in damages were done to the home and the home’s contents. One of the two occupants of the house was home at the …