Sunday, May 12, 2013
Authorities described the incident as a possible suicide.
Update 6:25 p.m.: WBAL reports that all lanes on northbound Interstate 95 have reopened. Update: 4:05 p.m.: One lane is getting by on the left shoulder of northbound Interstate 95 at Brooklyn Bridge Road in Laurel Sunday afternoon due to a Maryland State Police investigation, said Cpl. Robert L. Payne, a state police spokesman. No further information was immediately available. State police will have more information on their investigation later this afternoon, Payne said. Original post, 3:50 p.m.: Northbound Interstate 95 is closed at Brooklyn Bridge Road in Laurel while police investigate a possible suicide, Prince George’s County Fire/EMS spokesman Mark Brady said via Twitter. “PGFD & @HCDFRS handling a possible incident of suicide. A …
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
The fire broke out in the kitchen area, a fire spokesman said.
Prince George's County firefighters responded to the scene of a kitchen fire Wednesday afternoon in the 2900 block of Stonybrook Drive in Bowie. According to PGFD spokesman Mark Brady, the fire broke out in the kitchen on the stove and extended to the laundry room. No injuries were reported. PGFD estimates fire damages at $15,000.
Monday, January 7, 2013
Two fires have occurred at homes built by public high school students within a week.
Two fires at homes in Clinton built by Prince George's County public high school students have been ruled suspicious, according to the Prince George's County Fire Department. The blazes occurred in the same neighborhood within a week. In the most recent fire on Monday, the house still under construction was consumed by the fire and collapsed into the basement, according to the fire department. Propane cylinders also exploded and became projectiles that traveled nearly 50 yards to a neighbor's yard across the street, the fire department stated. The first fire occurred in a vacant home on New Year's Day and no injuries were reported, according to the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department (PGFD). That blaze was still under …
Friday, January 4, 2013
It may be hard to say that final goodbye to the holidays, but a dry tree can be a fire hazard.
The Prince George's County Fire Department is advising residents to keep their indoor Christmas trees up for a maximum of two weeks due to the risk of fire. "Dry trees can ignite easily," Fire/EMS Chief Spokesman Mark Brady warned on Twitter this week. The Federal Emergency Management Agency also advises that live trees should not be left up for longer than two weeks, as they account for hundreds of fires annually. Shorts in electrical lights or open flames from candles, lighters, and matches are the most common causes of tree fires, according to FEMA. Well-watered trees are not a significant problem, the agency says, but dry and neglected trees pose a higher risk. FEMA recommends not placing a tree close to a heat source and keeping the…
Thursday, December 13, 2012
The Prince George's County police and fire departments delivered the baskets to seniors in Hyattsville and Greenbelt Thursday.
Christmas came early for some Prince George's County senior citizens Thursday, when county police officers and firefighters delivered baskets of food to their doors. Prince George's County public safety professionals delivered the food to seniors in Hyattsville and Greenbelt after collecting donations since Nov. 19. The deliveries are a part of the Prince George’s County Public Safety Assistance Program, which hopes to provide Christmas dinners to families in need this holiday season, a police press release stated. Seniors living in Frienship Arms (580542nd Avenue in Hyattsville) and Green Ridge House (22 Ridge Road in Greenbelt) received the donations today. PGPD Spokeswoman Julie Parker tweeted that the officers also delivered baskets to…
Tuesday, October 2, 2012
Staff and volunteers have the option to wear special work shirts as part of an advocacy effort.
It's National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department is doing its part to highlight the risks posed by the deadly disease to both women and men. For the second year running, members of the department—career, civilian, and volunteer—will have the option to wear pink t-shirts and polos while on duty during October. The shirts, designed by a member of the PGFD, are meant to be "a symbol of care and compassion for those affected." "If not you, we all know someone who has been affected by breast cancer," Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor said in a statement. "This is an opportunity for us to show our support, and I know that the men and women of this department will do their part to support this worthy cause…
Friday, October 28, 2011
Prince George's County residents can get a free smoke alarm and fire inspection by contacting the department.
The Prince George’s County Fire/Emergency Medical Services Department (PGFD/EMS) partnered with the Lowe’s store in Largo, MD, to promote safety for local homeowners last week. The county department emphasized checking smoke alarms and and other fire safety and injury prevention material. Lowe's provided reflective mail box numbers, which help first responders identify homes as well as smoke alarms. Sixteen Fire/EMS Department personnel and Lowe's employees went door-to-door on Kettering Drive in Largo on Oct. 17, providing this potentially life saving information to the community. Fire Lieutenant Eric Hurt from the Department’s Facilities and Resource Planning office coordinated today’s event with Lowe’s. “We are appreciative of our …