Monday, March 4, 2013
The new and expanded programs are designed to increase fire safety awareness and working smoke detectors in homes.
Following a recent spate of fires and fire related fatalities in Prince George’s County, the fire department is launching and improving upon several programs designed to increase fire safety awareness. “We are here to talk about community resilience,” said Prince George’s County Fire Chief Marc Bashoor in a press conference Friday. The press conference was held at the Northview Fire Station in Bowie. The city has seen an unusual spike in house fires in the past several months, with 16 reported since May 2012, the majority of which have been accidental. Another recent accidental fire on Leslie Avenue in Glenarden claimed the lives of three children and their father. The fire was determined to be accidental and fire investigators discovered …
Friday, February 22, 2013
Prince George's fire chief to send out a message to residents about smoke alarms.
A deadly fire in Glenarden, MD just less than nine miles outside of Bowie's city limits claimed the life of one man and two children Thursday morning and injured three others, according to Prince George's County's fire department. Now, county Fire Chief Marc Bashoor wants to remind residents about the need of smoke alarms after fire investigators discovered no smoke alarms were present in the home on Leslie Avenue. "I could not be prouder of our men and women, volunteer and career, who work hard every day and who, once again, this morning showed that valiant courage that lies within us all," Bashoor said in a note, which was forwarded to Patch by the county's branch of the NAACP. "It is tragic to report that no smoke alarms have been …
Monday, June 13, 2011
Acting Fire Chief Marc Bashoor demonstrated the danger of these repellents.
Marc Bashoor, acting fire chief for the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department, was on ABC's Good Morning America early Monday morning talking about the dangers of ceramic fire pots that burn gel fuel. The ceramic fire pots are used to repel insects, but after a teen was burned when gel splattered from a ceramic fire pot after it blew up. A live demo illustrated how quickly a T-shirt ignited from the flames of a burning pot. To watch the whole demo, check out this episode on ABC.com.