PGFD reports that chimney/fireplace malfunction was likely cause of blaze.
A single-family home on Lanham-Severn Road caught fire last night, likely due to a chimney or fireplace malfunction, according to Prince George's County Fire Department (PGFD) spokesperson Mark Brady. Firefighters responded to the fire just after 10:30 p.m. Thursday to find fire in the basement of a one-story home and the attached garage, according to officials. The bulk of the flames were extinguished in less than 30 minutes and no injuries were reported, Brady said. An estimate of damages was not immediately available. There have been two other house fires in Bowie this week. Nine people were displaced in a house fire on Empress Way on Wednesday, and firefighters extinguished a kitchen fire on Keynote Lane Thursday afternoon.