.
News Alert
Bowie Townhouse Fire Causes Partial Collapse,…

Are Maryland Children Protected from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at School?

Carbon monoxide leak at Atlanta elementary school sends 47 to hospital.

 

According to a recent Reuters story, a carbon monoxide leak caused by a faulty furnace at Finch Elementary School in Atlanta sent 43 students and six teachers to the hospital.

The school did not have carbon monoxide detectors installed, and vapor levels of the deadly gas were “the highest we’ve ever seen,” said Atlanta Fire Department spokeswoman Marian McDaniel.

As it turns out, no school in Georgia is required to install carbon monoxide detectors. Neither are schools in 47 other states.

Information detailing state statutes on carbon monoxide detectors, noted on the website of the National Conference of State Legislators, says that only Maryland and Connecticut require installation of carbon monoxide detectors in schools. 

Maryland Code Annotated, Education § 4-117 – Public School Buildings-Carbon Monoxide Detection and Warning Equipment, which was passed by the Maryland Senate and House of Delegates in March 2012, states that carbon monoxide detection equipment is required in "newly constructed or remodeled public school buildings where fuel-fired equipment is present."

Texas requires detectors in certain day-care centers, group day-care homes and family homes. 

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »