There are 12 species of trees eligible for the rebate, although, some tree species availability may be limited, according to the city’s website
If you have utility lines near your property, it
is important to pay attention to the maximum height of the
tree species you are selecting and to contact MISS UTILITY prior to planting at
Visit www.trees.maryland.gov/plant.asp for more tree planting information.
To participate in the rebate program, follow this checklist:
- Purchase your tree at Patuxent Nursery, 2410 Crain Hwy., which will provide 100 rebates to City of Bowie residents on a first come, first served basis. One $100 rebate is allowed per household. It can apply toward the tree itself or the delivery/planting costs of a tree purchased as long as combined costs amount to at least $100 after other rebates and coupons are applied.
- Fill out the City of Bowie application form at Patuxent Nursery. Leave the application form and copy of tree purchase receipt with nursery.
- Plant and learn about your tree. For planting and tree information, visit www.trees.maryland.gov/plant.asp. Trees provide numerous benefits such as saving money on air conditioning costs, providing city stormwater management, and cleaning the air. Calculate your tree’s benefit at www.trees.maryland.gov/calculator.asp.
- Send in a photo of the purchased tree planted on your property to complete your application. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Ms. Kristin Larson, City Hall Planning Department, 15901 Excalibur Road, Bowie, MD, 20716. Send in your photo as soon as possible to get your rebate. All photos must be received by June 6.
- Get your rebate. Within 2-4 weeks of receiving your tree photo, the City of Bowie will verify your application and send a $100 rebate to the mailing address you provided.
You can find a printable form of the checklist, and a list of all the trees eligible for the rebate on the city’s website.