Regional Armed Forces bases have not made sweeping immediate changes to security in light of Monday morning’s shooting at the Navy Yard in Washington, D.C.
About 13,000 active duty, guard and reserve personnel and families, along with civilians, live and or work at Joint Base Andrews, according to the Base’s website.
Since Monday morning’s shooting, officials have been keeping an eye on the situation, but have not made any drastic changes. “We have heightened our security and we are continuing to monitor the situation,” spokesman Jim McKinney said.
According to the Joint Base Andrews Facebook page, personnel were asked to avoid travel to Navy Yard, Fort McNair, and Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling "due to their increased security postures."
DC Police have confirmed one shooter is dead.
At a previously scheduled ceremony on Fort Meade, there were
not obvious changes to security, though officials said they are monitoring the
"The safety and security of everyone on
Fort Meade is our top priority so we
remain ever vigilant," base spokeswoman Mary Doyle said in an email. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone at the Navy Yard and we hope for a quick and safe resolution to the situation."