A volunteer firefighter who suffered third-degree burns while battling a house fire over two weeks ago has been readmitted to the burn unit because of an infection that requires a skin graft.
Benjamin “Ben” Eddowes, 24, a volunteer member of the Bladensburg Fire/EMS Station No. 809, was burned on both ears and his leg on Jan. 31, said Spokesman Mark Brady of the Prince George's County Fire Department. Eddowes was on the scene of a house fire in the 3400 block of 40th Place in Colmar Manor when he was injured.
He was initially admitted to the Medstar Washington Hospital Center burn unit, where he stayed overnight and released the following day.
Prince George’s County Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor visited with Eddowes on Saturday.
Bashoor said, “Burn injuries are prone to infection and unfortunately this type of setback occurs, however, he is in the best of care. There is a contingent of fellow firefighters with him at all times, including members of the DC Firefighters Burn Foundation.”
Bladensburg Volunteer Chief Randy Kuenzli said, “Last week he was readmitted when his burn injuries on his leg became infected. The ears are fine, but the leg got infected. When they went in to deal with the infection they discovered that it was a third-degree burn and that the infection went into the calf muscle of his leg.”
Eddowes is in good condition and being treated for the infection, says the department. If all goes well he will have a surgical procedure involving a skin graft performed on Wednesday. He will remain hospitalized for at least five days after the procedure.
The department said Eddowes is accepting visitors and is in Room 3 E 34 at the Burn Unit. You can visit him on his Facebook page by clicking here. His Email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org.