A mistrial was declared in the Jason Scott case Monday for “technical reasons,” according to the Prince George’s County State’s Attorney’s office.
Scott, 28, is facing several charges in Prince George’s County, including two counts of first-degree murder in the . The bodies of the mother and daughter were found burning in a vehicle not far from the family's Largo home.
A Prince George’s County detective testified Monday for the state, and during the course of his testimony, he referred to Scott being involved in multiple home invasions, according to John Erzen, a spokesperson for the state’s attorney’s office.
The detective's testimony resulted in the judge declaring a mistrial.
“The judge had previously ruled that only one home invasion was admissible in trial,” Erzen said.
Jury selection for Scott’s retrial will commence on Oct. 14, and Erzen said the trial will likely begin a week later, and is expected to last four to six weeks.
“While we are disappointed in this outcome, we feel that the correct ruling was made and we respect Judge Whalen’s decision,” Prince George's County State's Attorney Angela Alsobrooks said in a statement. “This is no way jeopardizes our case against Mr. Scott and we look forward to retrying the case later this year.”
Scott was sentenced in federal court to 100 years in prison last year for numerous charges, including home invasion, child pornography and weapons charges. Today was the first day his Prince George’s County trial had recommenced following a suicide attempt by a witness last week.