Dr. Calton and her team are happy to announce that Dr. Terry Kimmel has joined their team at both of their offices in Annapolis and Odenton. Dr. Kimmel practiced in Bowie for over 35 years before retiring in 2004. When he retired, Dr. Kimmel had a boat built for himself and his wife to travel in. They cruised around the United States and the Bahamas putting almost 15,000 miles on their boat. In his retirement he took up welding in a studio in Severna Park and has fabricated a number of aluminum and bronze sculptures. He also wrote a book all about his adventures that was published this past December. Dr. Kimmel graduated from the University of Maryland Dental School on a full academic scholarship in 1970. After a short tour of duty with the Air Force he opened a practice in Bowie in 1972. Dr. Calton and her team are very excited to work with Dr. Kimmel in their Annapolis and Odenton offices.
Dr. April Calton is a graduate of New York University College of Dentistry and has dedicated her professional career to providing the best that dentistry has to offer. Dr. Calton takes many continuing education courses that include but are not limited to aesthetic dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, neuromuscular dentistry and infection control. She is a member of such institutions as the American Dental Association, Maryland State Dental Association, Anne Arundel County Dental Society, Academy of General Dentistry & the Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation. For 6 years in a row, Dr. Calton has been voted “Top General/Cosmetic Dentist” by Whats Up? Annapolis magazine & voted 2013 “America’s Top Dentists” by Consumers’ Research Council of America.
Here are a few dental hygiene tips from Dr. Calton and Dr. Kimmel:
1. Brush Properly. It is very important to brush after breakfast in the morning to remove plaque and bacteria that have accumulated overnight and to brush last thing at night.
2. Floss your teeth twice a day. This will keep plaque from building up. It is important to floss regularly because about 90% of cavities occur between teeth.
3. Use a fluoride toothpaste. A fluoride toothpaste will help strengthen your enamel, making it tougher for bacterial acids to break down.
4. Change your toothpaste out regularly. You should change your toothbrush every three months for good dental hygiene. If you do not then bacteria will collect on the bristles and you will transfer them back into your mouth.
5. Eat your vitamins. Maintain a healthy diet to give your teeth and oral tissues (bone and gum tissues) the nutrients they need. Make sure you have enough B vitamins and calcium to keep your teeth strong.
To learn more about Dr. Calton, Dr. Kimmel and their team, visit www.aboutsmilesdentistry.com or www.odentonstationdental.com. To make an appointment in the Annapolis office call 410-990-4700 and to make an appointment in the Odenton office call 410-874-2222.