And, five days off in a row turns into six for Prince George's students, with the school system making the call to close schools again Wednesday. The call was initially made on Prince George's County Public Schools website just before 8:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Here is the most updated list of closings as delays, as of 7:30 a.m. Wednesday:
- All schools will be closed Wednesday, Code Yellow, with emergency personnel required to report to work. Evening high school registration is also cancelled.
- The City of Bowie government is open as usual Tuesday with liberal leave policy in effect for employees. Refuse and recycling will be picked up as scheduled Wednesday, as well as in neighborhoods that were missed yesterday.
- The City of Bowie Welcome Center is closed, but all other city facilities are open Wednesday.
- Bowie State University and UMD will open at noon on Wednesday.
- The Prince George's County Government will open at 10 a.m., with a liberal leave policy in effect for non-essential employees.
- The Federal Government is open Wednesday with a two hour delay in effect. Employees also have the option of taking unscheduled leave or unscheduled telework.
- The Bowie Town Center will be open as usual on Wednesday.
This post will be updated as more weather related delays and closings are announced.
As a reminder, here's when the school system generally makes the call to delay or close schools and how they notify parents:
- The superintendent generally makes decision concerning early morning school closings or delayed openings prior to 5 a.m.
- An announcement is then provided to local media outlets in time for early morning broadcasts between 5 and 6 a.m.
- Closings and delays are also updated on the school system webpage, www.pgcps.org. After 6 a.m., staff and parents can also access the school system's Voice Mail Bulletin Board by calling 301-952-6000. Wait for the opening message, and then press the number 1.
- Closings and delays will also be announced on PGCPS TV on Comcast Channel 96 or Verizon FIOS Channel 38.