Who’s that knocking at your door?
With warmer weather and longer days, chances are it’s a door-to-door solicitor.
Bowie requires any group without nonprofit status to obtain a county and city permit to sell goods or services door-to-door. A significant number of permits have been issues in the past month, and city officials want residents to be aware and prepared for an increase in solicitation, according recent press release issued by the city.
The city permit is bright yellow and will have a photograph of the individual. The permit allows solicitors to sell door-to-door between the hours of 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.
For resident safety, the city Department of Community Services suggests the following:
- Only open the door if you wish to and feel safe doing it.
- Keep your screen/storm door closed between yourself and the salesperson.
- Do not invite the salesperson into your home.
- Ask to see the City of Bowie solicitors permit. Solicitor’s permits are issued to each qualifying door-to-door solicitor.
- Do not leave your door open and return to another room for cash or a credit card.
- If you choose to purchase an item or service pay by credit card or check, not cash.
- Read all documents and contracts carefully! Know the conditions of the sale.
- Do not allow yourself to be bullied or coerced into purchasing their service or merchandise.
Any questions or concerns should be directed to Code Compliance at 301-809-3008 or the nonemergency police number 301-352-1200.