No Injuries in Knowledge Lane House Fire
The homeowner thought his children were trapped in the home during the blaze, but they were at another location.
Though there were early reports of children trapped inside the home, firefighters extinguished the blaze at 12500 block of Knowledge Lane and no injuries were reported, according to Prince George’s County Fire Department (PGFD) spokesperson Mark Brady.
PGFD responded to reports of a working fire on Knowledge Lane just after 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday, where they found smoke coming out of the eaves and heavy smoke throughout the home. According to Brady, one of the home’s residents arrived on the scene at the same time as the fire department having been notified of the fire by his alarm company.
The man, who was unaware that his wife had taken the children out for the day, began frantically explaining that as many as four children were in the home, prompting a search, said Brady.
Firefighters found that a fire in a second story closet had extended to the attic. Some firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze while others search for the children, said Brady. A family dog was located and brought to safety, but no children were found in the residence.
After "establishing some family communication," said Brady, the homeowner learned that his wife and children were in another location, safe.
PGFD estimates that about $20,000 in damages were done to the home. No injuries were reported.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.