A Bowie man is dead and a woman is in critical condition after a murder-suicide attempt in the 300 block of Harry S. Truman Parkway early Monday morning, according to Anne Arundel County police.
Officers responded to the scene around 1 a.m. on Monday, and found two people with gunshot wounds. Emergency responders pronounced 50-year-old Calvin Cofield of the 7200 block of High Bridge Road—who police believe to be the gunman—dead at the scene.
Tracy Lynn West, 43, of Crownsville was transported to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, according to police.
Police said that West is the estranged wife of Cofield. Detectives determined that Cofield went to where West worked and shot her before shooting himself.
West remains in critical condition at Shock Trauma.
Detectives are continuing to investigate and have not identified a motive. They believe it was an isolated incident of domestic violence.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
See More on Patch
- Top MD Headlines: Husband in Buried Body Case Convicted, Radio Host Ditches Motorcycle, Governor's Football Diplomacy
- Top Maryland Headlines: Uncles in Montgomery, Landlord Guilty of Peeping, Michelle Obama Comes to Town
- UPDATE: Deadly Crash Kills Two on Lanham-Severn Road
- Top Maryland Headlines: Biden's Office Apologizes, Politician Goes to Jail, Cracker Barrels In
- Maryland Top Headlines: Startling News on Gun Violence, Cruel Phone Scam, School Bus Driver Calls Road Idea 'Insane'