Bowie Urges Residents to Prepare for ‘Frankenstorm’
The city is recommending residents prepare for potential power outages and property damage from Hurricane Sandy.
The city of Bowie issued an alert this morning urging all residents to prepare for Hurricane Sandy, which is expected to bring high wind and heavy rain to the area early next week.
City officials are urging residents to take make preparations now, prior to the storm’s arrival. They also warn residents to clear leaves and detritus from exterior storm drains in case of flooding. They ask residents to keep an eye on drains throughout the storm to ensure they don’t become re-clogged.
Other steps advised by the city include:
- Charging cell phones and filling the gas tank.
- Making sure first aid items and necessary medications are on hand.
- Having flashlights, fresh batteries and a battery operated radio in case power is interrupted.
- Stocking up on food staples that can be eaten cold.
- Securing outdoor items that may become a hazard in high winds.
- Signing up for Alert Bowie to receive storm updates from the city.
Should an emergency occur, City Hall will be open 24 hours a day to answer relevant questions and manage tree and debris removal. If city phone lines are out of services, the city’s Emergency Operations Center can be reached at: 301-575-1830 or 301-575-1831.